Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Book Title

I'm often asked how I choose the absolutely correct title for my books. This book about lupus is no different. 
I wrestled with several phrases, all of which sounded not quite right."Living with Lupus" sounds lame, and I'm sure there are several books out there with that title. (Note to reader: Titles are NOT copyrighted. Anyone can publish any book with the title: Gone With the Wind, or To Kill a Mockingbird. Of course, any astute reader would recognize the rip-off right away. So that's not too common a practice.)
"Life in the Lupus Lane" was also considered, then aside.
Other titles with great alliteration followed, although I can't remember them right now.  That's how memorable they were.
Finally, my publisher came through with the perfect title. Somebody at some point said, or wrote, "Life isn't fair. You have to play the hand you're dealt." That led to "The Cards We're Dealt."
Perfect. That describes lupus perfectly.


No comments:

Post a Comment