Thursday, February 16, 2012

Looking for help with another autoimmune disease

Well, yeah. I also have diabetes, I think type 1, since I have to take insulin. Recently, I've had some insight as to how my diabetes really needs to get under control. Yet, I have only some vague idea about how to do that, since I'm not sure about being a type 1, type 1.5, or even type 2 that has morphed into a type 1.
I'm getting a headache with all this information. A normal person would probably ask her physician. Heh. Whoever said I was "normal?" I've got some info from Lupies in my yahoo group, who tell me one thing, and recently I joined a diabetes yahoo group which tells me another.
All I know is, I had diabetes controlled by meds (type 2) until I went into the hospital in 2004 and darn near died from God knows what (still no diagnosis as to what nearly took my life) and when I came out of Intensive Care, I noticed they were treating me with insulin injections. So I've called myself a Type 1, insulin dependent diabetic.
Lupus is an autoimmune disease, and so is diabetes. My thinking is, two autoimmune diseases, and how do I control my blood glucose when lupus is kicking my butt? And, this last week, I've had to take a Medrol Dosepak, which put my glucose readings waaaay up there.
Stress also increases both my lupus condition and diabetes, so go figure. I try not to get stressed, but when your life is ruled by numbers on a test strip, it's hard not to freak out when I see the numbers that are too darn high.
If anybody has a clue, let me know. Meantime, I'll ask my endocrinologist when I see him next week. I just hate going to get my A1C beforehand.




No comments:

Post a Comment